Sunday, February 17, 2013

What Is the Most Important in Real Cross-Cultural Exchange?



NHK, (Nippon Broadcasting Corporation) has been broadcasting good English learning programs historically. Now they have one of more modern and talk show style, English studying program. There is a show host, young American who speaks fluent Japanese, 2 male students, 1 female student, and a guest. The guests are usually famous people who are involved in the international community, in various fields. Their activities are United Nations related, international sports event, overseas business, or entertainment.

It is enjoyable to watch improvement of regular students and stories from guests. It was particularly interesting was the male student whose English was not good at all in the beginning of his study. He needed to try to take an American girl out for dating in US, the girl he talked was polite, but still she needed to ask him to brush up his English and ask again. It is not his broken English, however. It was noticeable that no matter how many times he has made mistakes, he has never given up. The people who were laughing at him started to be serious helping him. He was making his progress!

This student reminded me one person who I have worked with in my business experience. He was a Senior Engineer from my previous employment. He and I worked together for License of Technology. There are some Americans visited us for the license. Alas, he could not speak English so well. He depended me on English translation and business matters. We were a good team and worked together with Americans and Europeans. Whenever we had visitors from overseas, there was one thing everybody noticed. Despite his limited ability of English, the visitors admired him, appreciate what he did for them, and remembered him very well.

He was the one, who made sure that his guests stay in the proper place, and they are comfortable. In addition to his engineering capacity to prepare for visitors will go back with some result, even not an agreement, he was the one select their hotels, transportation, and meals. He visited hotels to make sure his visitors' stay would be comfortable. When one of guests became ill, he took the visitor to a hospital and stayed up all night to make sure he was okay.

This my friend died from a heart attack about 20 years ago. I felt I lost my own brother. He was the one who taught me that language ability is nice and convenient tool, but it is not everything. What is more noteworthy is one's mind for loving, caring, and people oriented. Even if you find one who could speak perfect English in Japan, if he was selfish and cold-hearted, and just business like, you would not feel like speaking with him for a long time, would not you?





Read this Article in EzineArticles.com:

http://EzineArticles.com/5217933





It's NEW!  It's exciting!!  It brings you the result!!!  Web Traffic Toolbox!!!

http://webtraffictoolbox.com/





Check my websites to find out what I am doing:


http://vur.me/shawfunami/me

http://vur.me/shawfunami/zi




Feel free to contact me:

shaw@zhenintl.ws

Shaw Funami

Fill the Missing Link





Stumble Upon Toolbar


No comments: