Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Emotional IQ - Martial Arts Training Helps


I did not plan to post 3 articles on spring season.  I got too much carried away because it was my family's first spring since we moved to East Bay.  Let's move back to the topic of Emotional IQ.  I was talking about there is fear behind anger.  Fear and anger are 2 most dangerous emotion which can deprive you of peace of your mind and damage your reputation and even business.  But it is extremely difficult to control our emotion.  You may pile up lots of stress by trying to control your emotion.  It may drive you crazy.  It aggravate controlling your emotion.  This issue involves lots of complexity as other mental sickness.  The issue will not be simply addressed by remedy by a medicine.

Having said that, however, there are method to improve your emotional peacefulness.  It looks like known fact that many people in Martial Arts are somehow good at controlling their emotion.  I myself practiced a little bit of Martial Arts.  It is good mental training in going through lots of challenges of fighting, tournaments, climbing up black belt ranks and conquering them.  Ancient soldiers and generals, especially Martial Arts Masters going through all fights and duels which could kill them or let them live, must have trained their own mental status and control them.

One of famous General once wrote "If you fight trying to live, you will die.  If you are not afraid of dying, you will win and live."  I interpret it as "there are the ways to survive where you can maintain the peace of mind regardless you die or live.  If you think just to live, it pressures and stresses you so that you would not be able to exercise your skill and power, resulting defeated and die.  If you can reach to the state of mind where you can determine that to live or to die is in the God's hand, then you can release your mind and body to go high-gear on your skill and power.  It will help you to win and live."

It is not just Japanese style Martial Arts, Kanfu of China, Taekwondo of Korea, etc... always emphasize the importance of status of mind.  Zen is the static form and Kan-Fu is dynamic form to reach peace of mind, as I understand.

Having said the above, I am not suggesting you to practice Martial Arts.  I am not selling Karate Dojo membership.  Some may be good at it, others may not.  One may like it, another may not like it.  It is natural and understandable.

Then, the question is if there is a way to attain and maintain the peace of your mind whenever it is necessary?


Check my websites to find out what I am doing:
http://vur.me/shawfunami/me
http://vur.me/shawfunami/zi


Feel free to contact me:
shaw@zhenintl.ws
Shaw Funami
Fill the Missing Link


Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Joanne Utke said...

Great post Shaw. We all have trouble with anger including me and i never thought of Martial Arts as a possible solution to assist me in learning to control my mind. I always kinda new that it was, I know it takes great discipline to practice Martial Arts and I have always been drawn to it and plan on getting my young boys involved with it soon. Now I am thinking family lessons would be wonderful I will look in to it.

Thanks for the info!

I love that quote about fighting to live and you will die. So true we need to take the fight out of life. It is like fighting to get out of the water and drowning when all we had to do was swim...

Marketing Unscrambled, Home edition said...

Hello Shaw,

If we do not control our thoughts and emotions,then they control us. Usually to our great harm or the harm of others.

Thank you for this great post. Have a great day.

Dan and Deanna "Marketing Unscrambled"

Unknown said...

Hi Joanne,

Thank you for your comment. It would definitely help to train young boys and girls for Martial Arts. It does not matter what kind of, it matters he or she is interested.

It is also ironical fact that a fighter's survivability goes down if he fight for life, despite that fact that they (we) all fight for life. There are some status of mind where you should concentrate for fight not to think all about living and surviving.

Thank you again for your comment.
Shaw Funami
Fill the Missing Link

Unknown said...

Hello Dan and Deanna,

Thank you for your comment. It is great point that our thoughts and emotions will control us if we do not control them. It is very true. Thank you again for your commenting in your busy schedule.

Best regards,
Shaw Funami
Fill the Missing Link

Unknown said...

Hi,

Martial arts training videos teach self defense by providing various fighting methods and defense techniques. These martial arts training videos are unconventional fighting techniques which give you the maximum advantage in any violent situation where your safety is on the question. Many amazing training videos can be found in cheapsafetyproducts.com.