Sunday, April 12, 2009

Another way of Enjoying Crab in San Francisco

This weekend was Easter. Though my wife and I did not have a custom to celebrate Easter, quite honestly, but this weekend we wanted to have something special partially because it was Easter Weekend. As weekend routine, we went to exercise in the morning. We took a Group-X in 24 hours fitness, Shadow Boxing for one hour, sweat a lot. Took shower, came home, relaxed a little while, call the restaurant and made reservation.

This restaurant is "Tanh Long", in Sunset Area, San Francisco. We have know this restaurant famous for "Garlic Roast Crab". Since we both felt like eating a crab, we decided to try that restaurant again. This is different type of crab cooking from what I talked in my previous post "Delicacies in Fisherman's Wharf". Instead most of crabs were simply boiled in sea water in Fisherman's Wharf restaurants, this restaurant roast whole crab with lots of garlics and oils.

I am not sure if it is healthy, but it tastes great. That's why people keep coming despite a high end pricing on the menu. This restaurant is located on the corner between Judah and 47th street, downtown San Francisco. Outside does not look like expensive restaurant, but inside is not so bad. I know this was original restaurant of 2 successful restaurants in San Francisco, opened by a Vietnamese Gentleman. I could not taste anything similar in Vietnam. Maybe, it is Vietnamese food made in San Francisco. Benihana style is not exactly made in Japan, anyways. So, it may be the same kind of story.

We ordered the "Roast Crab", "Tiger Prawn", and "Garlic Noodle". Eating this crab, you cannot do anything other than keep eating and finish the crab, since your hands will be full of garlic, oil, crab meats, crab shells. You cannot even pick up silvers or glasses. We spend there like 2 and half hours. Long dinner, not so much conversation, but we enjoyed our crab a lot. In Japanese sales, people say if you need to dine with a difficult customer, you should take him to a crab restaurant. He could be quiet because he was busy eating the crab. I think it is true.

Check my websites to find out what I am doing:
http://vur.me/shawfunami/main
http://vur.me/shawfunami/SF
http://vur.me/shawfunami/zi


Feel free to contact me:
shaw@zhenintl.ws
Shaw Funami
Fill the Missing Link

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Giovanna Garcia said...

Hi Shaw

Yum Yum :-) I remember the Crab I ate in San Francisco. I love it so much one morning I went and wait for them to open and I had it for breakfast. It was my last vacation day in San Francisco.
Thanks,
Giovanna Garcia
Imperfect Action is better than No Action

Marketing Unscrambled, Home edition said...

Shaw, thank you for letting us know about the good food in San Francisco. We will keep it in mind when we are in San Francisco. Thank you again. It sounds like you had a great time. It is nice to see people enjoying themselves.
Dan and Deanna "Marketing Unscrambled"

Peter Baca said...

Shaw,

Your post on the Thanh Long restaurant was very interesting! I absolutely love the mom and pop restaurants! The food sounded so....good!

Thank you for your wonderful post!

Best Regards

Pete Baca
The Car Enthusiast Online

Unknown said...

Hi Giovanna,

Thank you for your comment. I cannot blame you for eating crab so many times in San Francisco. It is also worth wating for.

Come enjoy the crab.

Shaw Funami
Fill the Missing Link

Unknown said...

Dan and Deanna,

Thank you for your visiting. Thank you for your comment. Please try this restaurant, you will not regret it.

Thanks again.
Shaw Funami
Fill the Missing Link

Unknown said...

Pete,

Yes, Tanh Long is good. Later I will post to introduce you sister restaurant. Both are good. Tanh Long is original. So, it looks like they are trying to innovate things, then to bring to the sister restaurant. Thank you for your comment.

Shaw Funami
Fill the Missing Link

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shaw .. it sounds as though you both should have enjoyed your lunch after all that exercise.

Garlic is very healthy & so is crab .. so you're eating the right thing.

I like the idea of taking a difficult client to lunch for this kind of meal .. & completely taking his mind off his job!

Delicious .. I'm flying out ..

Thanks .. it's nearly lunch here .. I'll go and satisfy my needs - but sadly no crab!!

All the best -
Hilary Melton-Butcher
Positive Letters

Unknown said...

Hilary,

Thank you for your comment. Yeah, we enjoyed garlic and crab. I hope you can come enjoy them soon.

Shaw Funami
Fill the Missing Link