Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Japanese Kanji Character and English

Thinking about meaning of words between Japanese and English, I can find and point out some Japanese words, which can be simply expressed or can find exact English words carrying same or equivalent meanings.

A Japanese word, “Ai” is one of them. -Kanji Character Image Left- I believe “Ai” carries exact same meaning of English word “Love”. “Ai” is not only carrying same meaning as English “Love”, it has almost same sound and meaning as Chinese “Ai”.

Another example of word, which has almost exact same meaning between Japanese and English, is “Sei” ,-Image Right Below-, English meaning “Sacred”. I may be able to go on and on. There are many Japanese words English can express in simple way of 1 or 2 words.

On the other hands, there are some Japanese words, which cannot be simply expressed in English. This is the point I wanted to discuss today.

Japanese language has a word “Gi” -Image Left Below-. Please refer to the image. Turning to Japanese English dictionary, meaning in English was shown as “Justice”, “Righteousness”, “Meaning”, etc… None of them did not satisfy me, today. “Gi” is more broad or universal meaning of natural or even spiritual. It is something universally right, and nobody, anybody can deny. It almost includes God’s will or faith to Him.

Another example is “Shi” or “Kokorozashi” -Image Left Bottom-. I put up image of this Japanese word. Same Dictionary showed me several English words, such as “Ambition”, “Aspiration”, “Dream”, etc… But again I thought all are correct, but not enough to explain this Japanese word “Shi”. It has broader, more powerful, stronger, more profound meaning in it.

I will be able to explain them in English if given 5-10 minutes, but I can not find simple 1 or 2 English word of the same meaning.

Today I planned to blog about Japanese people, who has strong relation with these 2 Japanese words “Gi” and “Shi”. I wanted you to fully understand the meaning of these Japanese words.

I spent too much space explaining these words. So the episode of the people will be up later.


Check my websites to find out what I am doing:
http://vur.me/shawfunami/main
http://vur.me/shawfunami/SF
http://vur.me/shawfunami/zi



Feel free to contact me:
shaw@zhenintl.ws
Shaw Funami
Fill the Missing Link

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shaw - you really are broadening our minds & opening us to ideas re the Japanese culture ..

Your description is really good - well done & it'll be interesting to read more posts ..

Thanks - Hilary: Be Positive Be Happy

Unknown said...

Thanks, Hilary for your comment. I myself was wondering if I am explaining something or just confusing people, your comment is really encouraging. I will keep writing about Japan. So, please keep visiting.

Thanks again.
Shaw