Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Seeking for Definition of "Gi", Ultimate Righteousness

I thought that, today, I am writing about one local lord in 16th Century in Japan who believed in “Gi” for strategy, faith, living, decision making, etc… I caught up obsession on thinking about meaning of “Gi” in Japanese. I thought I did not explain enough in my last article. So, please allow me to spend one more article talking about this Japanese word “Gi”. -Image Left-

This word “Gi”, carrying a meaning of a little more and broader definition or nuance of English words, “Justice” or “Righteousness”, is used in many ways in Japanese Language.

“Gi-Ri” -Image Right- means “Social Obligation or Duty”, “Socially requested action or reaction which one is supposed to take as a matter of course”. “Gi” is often positioned to be in the opposite side of human emotion or love. This is one of the cause that puzzles non-Japanese people since this both edge sword concept of “Gi-Ri” and human emotion “Nin-Jo” makes Japanese looks like carrying 2 sided personality or emotion.

“Jin-Gi” -Image Left- can mean a whole lot of thing in Japanese. Generally, it means “Universal Unchangeable Righteousness or Justice” at the same time “Being Reasonable, Courteous, and Gentle”.

“Gi-Shi” -Image Left Bottom- is “A Person with Ambition”. It does not apply to the people whose ambition is self-centered, even their dream is big. It refers to the people whose dream is sacrificing themselves to help or rescue people, society, government, nation, etc...

I hope this article helps you to understand meaning of “Gi” better. I hope I did not just confuse you.

Related Post:
http://zheninternational.blogspot.com/2009/02/japanese-kanji-character-and-english.html




Check my websites to find out what I am doing:
http://vur.me/shawfunami/main
http://vur.me/shawfunami/SF
http://vur.me/shawfunami/zi



Feel free to contact me:
shaw@zhenintl.ws
Shaw Funami
Fill the Missing Link

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shaw .. first is there a difference between the three Gi images (Gi, Gi-Ri and Gi-Shi) .. they look the same to me!?

2ndly .. what's the symbol to the right of the "Jin-Gi" paragrahp?

So I know that Japanese is difficult to learn!!

It's interesting though ... thank you - Hilary: Be Positive Be Happy

Shaw said...

Hilary, Thank you for your visiting and comment. Yes, they are different. Different in shape and different in meanings. I hope you got the meaning of "Gi" is almost ultimate righteousness or justice. I try to explain in the following articles so that you can grasp more clearly. Right Symbol of "Jin-Gi" is "Gi-Ri". Thanks again for your comment.

reyt said...

Your Best final fantasy gil Choice! last chaos money wow gold last chaos money withage of conan gold and aoc goldor FFXI Gil link lord of the rings gold The World world of warcraft power leveling Leading last chaos money andKnight Online Noah